By ANA MAY R. DELA CRUZ and JAN DOMINIC G. LEONES
POLITICAL Science junior John Carlo Pacala won this year’s Rector’s Literary Award (RLA) for his Katha entry, “Liham,” during the 27th Gawad Ustetika last Dec. 3 at the Quadricentennial Park.
Pacala won the RLA in the face of a rather depleted arena of competition as there were no first-place winners in five out of eight categories. So depleted was the field that there was no winner declared in the Fiction category, not even an honorable mention.
Earlier, Pacala was proclaimed Tomasinong Kuwentista ng Taon for “Liham,” about the personal letters of a correctional prisoner to her mother. read more »
TAPAT sa kaniyang adhikain na payabungin ang pantikan sa Unibersidad, ang Gawad Ustetika ay patuloy na pinagyayaman ang panitikang Tomasino sa ika-27 taon nito.
Muli nitong pararangalan ang mga mag-aaral na may angking galing at talento sa pagsusulat ng panitikan sa ika-3 ng DIsyembre sa Plaza Mayor.
Igagawad ngayong taon ang Parangal Hagbong kina Florentino Hornedo, isang premyadong manunulat at guro mula sa Batanes, at kay Federico Licsi Espino, isang makata sa wikang Tagalog. Ang Parangal Hagbong ay ibinibigay bilang pagkilala sa mga Tomasinong may natatanging ambag sa sining at panitikang Filipino. read more »
NOW ON its 27th year, Gawad Ustetika, the annual student awards for literature, is again calling for entries from Thomasian students who have flair for creative writing.
Categories include poetry, short story, essay, and one-act play, in English or Filipino.
Deadline of entries is on Nov. 14, 2011, Monday.
For more information and entry forms, visit the Varsitarian office at Room 105, Tan Yan Kee Student Center or call 406-1611 local 8235 and look for Patricia Evangelista (0906-4225382) or Brylle Tabora (0906-8810376). You may also check the Varsitarian’s 27th Gawad Ustetika Facebook page here. read more »
Mga alituntunin para sa ika-26 na Gawad Ustetika
1. Tanging mga mag-aaral lamang sa kolehiyo (post o undergraduate) ng Unibersidad ng Santo Tomas na nakapagpatala para sa akademikong taon 2010-2011 ang maaaring sumali.
2. Hindi na maaaring lumahok ang mga nanalo sa pambansa at/o internasyonal na patimpalak pampanitikan.
3. Nahahati ang kompetisyon sa dalawang (2) medium: Ingles at Filipino; at sa mga sumusunod na kategorya: Poetry/Tula, Fiction/Katha, Essay/Sanaysay, at One-Act Play/Dulang May Isang Yugto. read more »
By MIKA RAFAELA A. BARRIOS and MARK ANDREW S. FRANCISCO
Updated- March 7- THE UNIVERSITY paid tribute to the Ustetika, the longest-running campus literary derby in the country, for being “a true testimony to UST’s rich and robust intellectual life.”
“Many of the country’s greatest writers are products of the University of Santo Tomas,” said Vice Rector Fr. Pablo Tiong, O.P., during the 25th Ustetika Awards night last December 5 at the UST Plaza Mayor. “And a number of them started their writing career by participating in Ustetika when they were still students.”
Fr. Tiong also commended the Varsitarian for organizing Ustetika. “Your efforts have contributed to making literature alive and flourishing in the University,” he said. read more »
Nina LESTER G. BABIERA at QUINIA JENICA E RANJO
SA PAGMAMAHAL sa pagsulat, maski panahon ay hindi maaaring humadlang.
Iyan ang pinatunayan ng kuwentista at sanaysayistang si Nita Umali-Berthelsen at makatang si Teo Antonio, ang mga tatanggap ng Parangal Hagbong ngayong taon, na may kani-kaniyang karanasan kung paano binago ng takbo ng panahon ang kanilang mga buhay.
Halos nabaon man sa limot ang mga nagawa niya, hindi pa rin makakaila ang malaking kontribusyon ng kuwentista at sanaysayistang si Berthelsen sa larangan ng panitikan.
Nagtapos noong 1946 sa noo’y Faculty of Philosophy and Letters (Philets) ng UST, isa si Berthelsen sa mga piling estudyante na nakapagsimulang magturo sa Unibersidad bago pa man magtapos sa kolehiyo.
Taglay ang kaniyang hilig sa pagsusulat, sumali si Berthelsen sa Varsitarian noong dekada ’40. read more »
1. Only college (post and undergraduate) students of the University of Santo Tomas who have enrolled for school year 2009-2010 may participate.
2. Winners of national and/or international literary competitions may no longer participate in the contest.
3. The competition has two (2) divisions: English and Filipino; with the following categories: Poetry/Tula, Fiction/Katha, Essay/Sanaysay, and One-Act Play/Dulang May Isang Yugto.
4. No definite length is required. However, a poetry entry must be composed of no less than five (5) poems. A collective title for the poems is optional.
5. Participants should use pen names in their manuscripts. The real name of the writer or any identifying marks should not be found anywhere except in the accompanying entry forms.
6. Previously published entries inside and outside the University will not be accepted. read more »
It was in 1959 when the Varsitarian first recognized the Thomasian writer's passion for beauty and the creative process. With the flowering of creative consciousness, the Annual Varsitarian Literary Contest, previously known as the Rector's Literary Award, was born. It was not long before the competition's birthing produced writers who awed the literary world and made their mark in Philippine literature as the best of Thomasian creative writers. read more »
Readers' comments posted in this site do not necessarily reflect the editorial position of the Varsitarian. The Varsitarian does not knowingly publish false information and may not be held liable for the views of readers exercising their right to free expression.